Sunday, August 2, 2009

Play Time at the OK Corral

My name is Pea's


I am a figment of Susan's Imagination


Well....been back from the cabin for a few days now...not much to report on that front as the weather was the &^%%#$% ...only got to the beach one evening for a swim...was the only person there...which was kinda weird but exhilarating at the same time. Swimming by yourself is very peaceful, but I wasn't alone for long cause as soon as I got out I was swarmed by those hateful horsefly's. I spent my entire walk back to the cabin. whipping my towel around like some wild possessed banshee trying to swat the flys away...anyways, I am at home again & have been in my studio playing around with round head doll shapes. I call it my....aww crap...whats the word for it....intuitive doll making....not having a plan, but letting the shape come out naturally with out any preconceived ideas about what it will end up as. I like doing this as it frees up my creativity...I don't have to follow any kind of pattern. I needle-sculpt away & then step back to see what I have...maybe a badger, a bear, rabbit, who knows...some kinda Frankenstein doll concoction...I like to paint them, but not in a realistic way...I like the naive look to dolls...want to have fun with color, shapes, texture & patina. They end up being a figment of my imagination...some kinda imaginary thing made up of bits & pieces. I have to do this every once in a while as I get a trapped feeling if I work to long on the same thing...like wee mousies & such. I have some photos for you of some heads I have been working on & also an older finished piece that I couldn't part with....the weird rabbit looking thingy with pinkish spots & green skin...he keeps me company in my bedroom...I named him Peas & want to create a few companion pieces for him called Sweet Potato & Corn. Three pieces in all. After I am done my mandatory playing I will get down to more serious business...
till then...have a good day...play....smile...& be a kid once in awhile....
Susan

5 comments:

Theresa said...

Oh... I love Peas and I can see why you couldn't part with this sweet rabbit. I like your doll heads too... I think I see a fox in one of them. :)

MyStyles said...

Peas is sooooo super cute!!!

PEA said...

adorable! Love peas. what no carrots? LOL
P~

Brenda said...

Oh Peas os kist adorable! I certainly understand about play time - we need it to keep the creative juices flowing. Can't wait to see more.

hugs

Brenda

Jamie Lott said...

I LOVE your imagination! I don't blame you for keeping Peas. That's gotta be the cutest rabbit I ever did see! I cannot wait to see how Mr or Mrs Badger turns out...

I couldn't help but laugh over the horseflies. We have nothing but oaks in our yard and apparantly that's where yellowflies/horseflies like to live. So every time we walk under one, especially if I'm watering the garden or fruit trees, I'm waving around like a possessed banshee, too. I will get tickled thinking of you every time I do this from now on! ;)

Miss you, too!

Jamie

Related Posts with Thumbnails