Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Adaption of French Canadian Hooked Rug

I have wanted to recreate this French Canadian rug for quite some time and I am happy to say it is finally finished. This last week I whip stitched the edges, steamed it and gave it a good going over with the lint brush. It is a smallish rug at 17" inches tall x 31" inches wide. I whipped stitched the edges with a variegated colored wool which I think matches the rug quite nicely. I thought this pattern to be rather strange...with those psychedelic colored muchrooms and little daiseys here and there...its almost reminds me of those 1960's black velvet posters you could color in with felt pens...I loved those posters and remember coloring quite a few of them during my summer holidays spent at the cabin.

 This Squirrel hooked rug was featured in this Craft Journal which was published by the Musée des maîtres et artisans du Québec quite a few years ago. You can no longer order this particular booklet much to my disappointment...as it seems I have lost my one and only copy. Just a note that I did email the museum to get permission to adapt these rug patterns for my own use.

In May of 2011 I did a blog post on another rug which was featured in this booklet, you can click the link below to see it.
You can also click here to go directly the Craft journal website.
Thats all for now folks but stay tuned as I want to show you all the goodies I received from Paula of Kelmscot Designs...Paula your swap goodies arrived and you were so generous...Thank-you Thank-you! 
Cheerio, Susan

5 comments:

Kays Kids said...

Your rug is divine. I love the colours and the design. Well done for finishing it.
Hugs

jerilanders said...

I just love it! Te colors are rich and wonderful. The squirrel and mushrooms and birds, just perfection. I am a sucker for hooked rugs.

WoolenSails said...

That is a beautiful rug and design, love it.

Debbie

Doreen Frost said...

It is GORGEOUS! Well done!

:~)Doreen

The Best We Can Do said...

Gorgeous!!!
;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails