Monday, December 2, 2013

Studying the Old to Learn the New

Thought I would share my latest attempt at learning something new. Above is an early Victorian Pin-keep I purchased of off Ebay last year. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it and thought that I could justify this purchase by using this Pin-keep as a study tool.

I have displayed this piece here and there and I have looked at it many times wishing I could create something similar. Now I know a lot of you have created examples similar to this...but I have never in my life created anything so delicate and I humbly declare that my style of stitching is rather clumsy at best.
So I decided to create a piece that was more my style...a little rough and tumble looking and more on the folk art side of things.

This is what I came up with...an old style advertising pin-keep. I love animal themed advertising from days gone by and could just imagine them giving out these pin-keeps to the women of the day as a way to promote their products.
"Colburn's Philadelphia Mustard Company"
In reality though they were just trade cards and not pin-keeps like I made...but heck...its fun to use your imagination to create one of kind objects for your own use and enjoyment...in that respect we women haven't changed all that much.

I made my pin-keep in layers
 Front
1. fabric photocopy of advertisement
2. a layer of felt
3. stiff cardboard
Back
1. wool fabric
2. cardboard


You can pretty much guess how it is put together by looking at the photos. It a fun project...takes some patience but isn't difficult to do. 
If you want to make your own Bulldog pin-keep but aren't sure where to get the graphics just head on over to Catnip Studio...she has a huge variety of clip to choose from including the graphics for this Bulldog.

I liked this bulldog image because he reminded 
me of my little Jasper.





Back to mouse making.
Susan

10 comments:

WoolenSails said...

Beautiful piece, love the vintage look. I also like your piece, it is fun and vintage, like you said, your style. I got some printable fabric but haven't had time to do any yet, love being able to print old designs and make pillows.

Debbie

Lori Ann Corelis said...

Beautiful, Beautiful , Beautiful Susan!!
(I can see why you chose that image!) :-)

L

Brynwood Needleworks said...

I LOVE it, Susan! Isn't it fun trying something new? I think you did a lovely job. Can't wait to see more of your creations. They're so "happy"!
Blessings,
Donna
xo

Kays Kids said...

What a great pin keep you purchased. I think the little bull dog pin keep is gorgeous. The trouble is I could not put pins in him.
Hugs

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

I love it.. Great idea to use a advertisement. Turned out great!!

Annie Beez said...

Love it love it love it!!

Sandi said...

Lovely interpretation of the vintage piece. You definitely made it your own, love that they used a dog to advertise mustard..Hot Dog!

FredaB said...

I love your version of the pinkeep.
Our cq group was making these a couple of years back and we used old cd's as the base. You might want to try that.

Hugs
FredaB

Cathy G. said...

LOVE your creation Susan! I too would have hard time putting pins into that precious little face! He sure resembles Jasper! I love old advertising pieces that have to do with sewing!! Thank-you for the link to some graphics!! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and Santa is good to that cute little guy!!
Hugs!!
Cathy G

Carol Roll said...

Susan your piece turned out beautifully. Great inspiration piece as well.

I cant say it enough, Jasper is so danged adorable!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails